Graduate Application Checklist
ALL application materials must be postmarked by the deadline below: applications incomplete as of this date will not be considered. The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete when submitted.
Postmark deadlines for Autumn quarter admission:
- International Students November 1
- Domestic Students (U.S. citizens and permanent residents) December 15
STEP 1. Submit the following admission materials online:
- Graduate Admissions Application; must be submitted online by the deadline above, along with the online application fee. Application is found here: https://www.grad.washington.edu/applForAdmiss/
- Recommendation letters from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work can be arranged for electronically within this application: this is our preferred method. Recommenders who cannot use this function, however, may mail a signed letter on letterhead in a sealed envelope to the address below.
- Official GRE scores (general exam only); must be received by the deadline above if applying for Music Education, Music History, Music Theory, or Composition. UW Institution Code: 4854.
- TOEFL scores sent to UW electronically by the testing service by November 1st at UW Institution Code: 4854. (minimum scores required for admission: 90 for master’s students and 100 for doctoral students. Note that our requirement for doctoral students is higher than the Graduate School's.). Also, although the Graduate School does not require the TOEFL if you have completed a U.S. bachelor's degree, the School of Music DOES require the TOEFL of ALL APPLICANTS WHOSE NATIVE LANGUAGE IS NOT ENGLISH, EVEN IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED A U.S. BACHELOR'S DEGREE.
**International applicants should also include:
STEP 2. Mail the following admission materials to:
Brenda Banks, Graduate Academic Advisor
University of Washington
School of Music
Seattle, WA 98195-3450
- Printed copy of the completed online Graduate Admissions application.
- Official transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities.
- Statement of Purpose: Please indicate how graduate study will contribute to your pursuing your professional and/or personal goals.
- Optional: To be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, submit a resume of relevant experience.
- Extra materials as specified:
- All Performance Degrees: Once you have applied, schedule an audition online at www.music.washington.edu. If you can not attend a live audition and you live more 1000 miles from Seattle, you may send an audition DVD or videotape. Please note that some divisions will consider taped auditions for entrance only, not scholarships.
- Choral Conducting: Submit a videotape of a recent performance and/or rehearsal.
- Instrumental Conducting: Submit a videotape of a recent performance and a musical resume.
- Music Education: Submit scholarly writing samples and a videotape of a recent lesson. If applying for the MA + certification program, you must also complete an audition. You can sign up at www.music.washington.edu.
- Composition: Submit a portfolio of scores and recordings.
- Ethnomusicology, Music History, and Music Theory: Submit scholarly writing samples.
***PLEASE NOTE: All application materials become the property of the School of Music once submitted and WILL NOT be returned to applicants.